Personal Cooling Vest Systems for MS & Heat Intolerance Medical Conditions
There is an array of illnesses and physical conditions that leave a person vulnerable to heat stress. Some can be permanent conditions such as multiple sclerosis, some temporary like hot flash from menopause, but no matter what it is, the person is missing out in enjoying everyday activities.
Some people cannot regulate their body temperature. When everyone else is out enjoying a sporting event or other summer outdoor activities, the person with heat intolerance is left inside, missing out on the fun. The Veskimo Personal Cooling System is a way for the home-bound to become involved in outdoor activities, whether it is a trip to an outdoor mall, to an amusement park, or just a nice time sitting out in the backyard with family and friends enjoying a week-end barbecue.
If the person is wheel-chair bound, rigging up a Veskimo cooler to ride along with the wheelchair could be a quite simple task, or just hanging the backpack to the back of the chair is also possible, especially if the person is partially mobile and would like to get on and off rides at a theme park.
Illnesses and conditions that may cause heat intolerance:
- Ectodermal dysplasia (certain syndromes)
- Grave's Disease & Hypothyroidism
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lyme Disease
- Addison's Disease
- Mitochondrial Disease
- Fabry Disease
- Nerve Damage
- Certain Allergies
- In addition, some prescription medicine can cause heat intolerance. Please check with your doctor.
- The National MS Society Financial Assistance Program
- American Academy of Neurology: Cooling Vest Improves Symptoms for MS Patients
- Heat: A Major Killer - National Weather Service Heat Safety
- Extreme Heat: A Prevention Guide to Promote Your Personal Health and Safety
WARNING: Veskimo's products should not be used by a person who is paralyzed or is unable to regulate the cold of the garment.